Sunday, January 11, 2009

Team Member: Kathy

I am a suburban housewife and among the least likely people to be going to Sudan. I have never been to the third world and I have never been on any sort of mission trip. I don’t even go camping. BUT… I have long had a mother’s heart toward the “Lost Boys” of Sudan, and upon meeting Phalice had an immediate heart connection with this woman who would be equipping these now young men to be teachers. When asked by my missions pastor if I would be interested in joining this team, my quick answer was “Yes!” It was a response that can only be described as a God thing! I did not have to ponder and take a long time to make a decision; I felt compelled by God to accept this opportunity. My intention is to help wherever I can, but I fully expect to learn and to gain more than I give. Perhaps 2 Corinthians 12:9 is a good summary: The Lord said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Amen!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    My prayers for you on your journey through faith. Big hugs from down under, MariLee in Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    Wow, you guys are doing amazing things!! So happy you arrived safely and I am so proud of you! We are all thinking of you here at the office everyday and wishing all good things for those you touch each day. thanks to your team for the great stories from your trip!
    Take care,Love, Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry we missed our hugs good-bye but I am very proud that you packed 4 days ahead! I especially love that you are offering your mind and heart and hands and feet, including one slightly askewed ankle, to Jesus. He has blessed you with so many gifts and talents. You're in our prayers. Now that you're texting! I'll have to find some other techie device to keep up with you. I just hope it's not another piece of medical equipment.
    Hugs, Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered if that was your ankle that needed the ace bandage! Hope it is getting better and that it isn't hampering your getting around. I find it hard to imagine you so far away, and in a place with pictures and text that look like they are out of my Maryknoll Mission book! It sounds like it is quite warm there and must be a shock from Seattle winter. Take lots of pictures and remember all the details! Can't wait for the class you will be teaching on "How to adapt from housewife to African Missionary in three easy plane rides"!
    Go with God,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy,
    Mike says Hi and thinks that if he was on the trip he would most likely loose lots of weight with all the interesting food! Both he and Jake enjoyed hearing about the trip to date. Amazing stories that is for sure. Stay safe.
    Love, Melinda and Mike

    ReplyDelete