Friday, February 6, 2009

Medical Treatments in Doro

We had a good day today. I (Andrew) had good day in clinic, seeing patients with strep throat, doing prenatal checkup for 1st trimester OB patient, treating URI and bronchitis. I actually diagnosed a patient with lymphogranula verneurm (enlarged lymph node from STD) since we have that back home as well. One interesting patient was a young man who came with his uncle. They belong to the Falata tribe which is a nomadic tribe that originated from Nigeria many years ago. They don't even speak the local language so I had to go through 2 translators (good thing his uncle spoke Arabic) to get a history. He was very striking looking, handsome and dressed in their tribal clothing. I have seen some of their women in the market and they all wear a long black colorful flowing gown. The women are also tall and striking looking. Throughout my history and exam, the uncle had to constantly go out and check their donkeys. I took a picture of them on the donkey on the way out. There is one child of 1 year old at the nutrition village that is quite ill. The nutrition "village" is a small enclosed area right by our compound that they treat babies and child with severe malnutrition. They get fed with high caloric food every 3 hours around the clock. Imagine an enclosed dirt field with 2 tents, a small shelter and about 20-30 people (the sick child plus their family) lying on the ground under the tree getting treated and fed. With the severe malnutrition, they are prone to getting all kinds of potential deadly diseases. I saw this child few days ago and she was struggling to breathe with pneumonia. I gave her Albuterol on top of antibiotics and for a time, she was getting better but she took a turn for the worse today. We told the parents we're going to do all we can for her but it will be up to God to heal. I started an IV and adding another powerful IV antibiotics. Before I can do the IV, Dean had to construct an "IV pole" for me on the branch of the tree. I think that was my first outdoor IV! Please pray for this little girl as the family is quite distraught but they say they have been praying to God for healing. They came from far away for treatment. Dean worked hard putting up a draining system on the room of the building they use for community health school. He put up a small solar cell stand for one of the tukkul. He seems to be having a good time and is putting his talented skills to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment