Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Market Day

(From Val, guest scribe) Last night was a special time at the dinner hour. It was so hot in the dining room that we went outside. And heard one of the African staff playing her guitar from her tukul. We invited her out and then sang hymns in the dark. Praise is a 3 year old African boy and he stole the show with his singing. Jennifer said she has recorded some of his songs for us to enjoy forever.
Today was market day in Yabus. So, most of us planned to take it in. Rick started his “Pastor’s Conference” this morning. He left on the back of a quad with 2 others. Not your typical mode of transport for a church conference. He reported a good turn out and mentioned more would be there the rest of the time since the market would then be closed.
At breakfast the hot water was all gone by the time I got there, so I poured my luke warm crystal light over my instant oats. While there Thomas came in, I asked him how he slept. His answer was, “I think this camp should eat more chicken, starting with the rooster.”
It was very hot in my tukul last night. Because it takes along time to cool down from the 124 degree high of the day.
Our group of shoppers left in the pickup because we were taking 9 bags of sorghum in for grinding. However, there turned out to be a tractor broken down on the bridge, leaving no way around except by foot. We locked up the pickup and set off.
Before leaving Peter asked Thomas how will we know how to find the market. In his dry Switzland accent he replied, “when you see all the parked donkeys you have arrived.
At the market we had to experience the local coffee house. While inside Kathy looked at her temperature gauge and it read 100 degrees. We bought some greens that look like basil, which Bethany’s family will enjoy tonight with their dinner.
As you can see its happening place, but I think I’ll close for now.
Another Servant, Val

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you directly Val.The heat there makes a V-berth feel like an air conditioned suite.The posts have been great to read,I definitely hooked.Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good to hear from you directly Val.The heat there makes a V-berth feel like an air conditioned suite.The posts that are being written are very vivid.I am definitely hooked.
    The Bird and I can hardly wait for the "must have recipe" you will surely bring back.Take Care-Love Phil and Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am honored to be receiving this blog and praying for you and your team, several of whom I know, Rick and Peter.

    My brother, Dick Ackley, was born in Yabus (my parents were SIM misisonaries there), and while I was born in Khartoum, I returned to Doro, Yabus, Chali area when I was just a few weeks old and have many wonderful memories of growing up there!!

    It is an answer to agonizing prayers for God to raise up young people with a passion for Sudan, to see you'all. About 5 years ago, I fasted and prayed and wept, pleading with God to raise up young people to go to my people in Sudan, but at that time it seemed totally impossible by human standards!! Who would wnat to go to such a desolate country where they have to learn a language, and living is tough, fruit is scarce - but the people are lovely!! and they need Jesus and hunger for His Word.

    Sadly, I believe God used the genocide to bring the people ot Sudan to the consciousness of the American people and while the genocide is disgusting and terribly sad, God has used it for His good and now folks like you are going to Sudan to share His love!! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woe/Whoa, the heat! I remember how much those high temps could zap one's energy (both physically and mentally). Hang in there and know that you will acclimate. Your good works are bringing relief and love. I'm still smiling to think of you all and the adventures you're experiencing. We're holding down the home front and we're holding you close in heart. Love, Stella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val,

    Sounds like you are having quite the experience their in the Sudan. Please know that you are being prayed for regularly and God will use you mightily and protect you while in HIS service. The temperatures there are just a little bit warmer than here in the Couve'. Lord Bless you my friend. Stay cool-no pun intended.
    Bob McComas

    ReplyDelete